Main Duties & Responsibilities:
The job of the CD is to think like a publisher, leading the development of content initiatives in all forms to drive new and current business.
Content and commercial
- Ensuring all content is on-brand, consistent in terms of style, quality and tone of voice, and optimized for search and user experience for all channels of content including online, social media, email, point of purchase, mobile, video, print and in-person. This is to be done for each buyer persona within the brand.
- Mapping out a content strategy that supports and extends marketing initiatives, both short- and long-term, determining which methods work for the brand and why. Continuous evolvement of strategy is a must.
- The development of a functional content calendar throughout the event verticals, and defining the owners in each vertical to particular persona groups.
- Integration of content activities within traditional marketing campaigns and establishing digital platform for Brand narrative and voice.
- Conducting ongoing usability tests to gauge content effectiveness. Gathering data and handle analytics and make recommendations based on those results. Working with owners of event content to revise and measure particular content and marketing goals.
- Leveraging market data to develop content themes/topics and execute a plan to develop the assets that support a point of view and educate customers that leads to critical behavioral metrics.
- Conducting periodic competitive audits.
- Supervising the maintenance of content inventories and matrices.
- Ensuring consistent global experience and implement appropriate localization/translation strategies.
- Supervising and supporting event marketing teams, editors, analysts, designers; be an arbiter of best practices in grammar, messaging, writing, and style.
- Developing standards, systems and best practices (both human and technological) for content creation, distribution, maintenance, content retrieval and content repurposing, including the real-time implementation of content strategies.
- Establishing work flow for requesting, creating, editing, publishing, and retiring content. Work with technical team to implement appropriate CMS.
- Participation in the hiring and supervising of content/story leaders in all content verticals.
- Work closely with the event teams on all creative and branding initiatives to ensure a consistent message across channels.
Minimum Education Level:
Bachelor's degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations or related communications field. MBA in marketing a plus.
Background Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
The CD requires a combination marketing and publishing mindset, with the most important aspect being to think “customer first”. In essence, the CD is the corporate storyteller that must be empathetic toward the pain points of the customer.
Specific skills required include:
- Proven editorial skills.
- Outstanding command of the English language.
- Clear articulation of the business goal behind the creation of a piece (or series) of content.
- Project management skills to manage editorial schedules and deadlines within corporate and ongoing campaigns. Ability to work in a 24 hour project cycle-utilizing teams or contractors in other countries.
- Excellent negotiator and mediator.
- Incredible people skills.
- Basic technical understanding of HTML, XHTML, CSS, Java, web publishing, Flash, etc.
- Fluency in web analytics tools (Adobe Omniture, Google Analytics), social media marketing applications (HootSuite, Tweetdeck, etc.) and leading social media monitoring platforms (Radian6, etc.).
- A willingness to embrace change and to adapt strategies on the fly.
- Great powers of persuasion and presentation
- Experience creating a resource or library of content organized indicating SEO, translations and version control.
- Comfortable with acting as the company's spokesman and advocate via media appearances, interviews, sales calls, etc.
- Training as a print or broadcast journalist and has a “nose” for the story. Training in how to tell a story using words, images, or audio, and an understanding of how to create content that draws an audience (it is critical that the CD retain an “outsider’s perspective” much like that of a journalist.)
- The ability to lead and inspire large teams of creative personnel and content creators to achieve company’s stated goals. Leadership skills required to define and manage a set of goals involving diverse contributors and content types
- Skill at both long-form content creation and real-time (immediate) content creation and distribution strategies and tactics. The ability to think like an educator, intuitively understanding what the audience needs to know and how they want to consume it.