Informa Intelligence provides specialist data, intelligence, and insight to our customers, helping them make better decisions, gain competitive advantage and enhance return on investment. Within the BI division, the Pharma vertical consists of leading products – such as Citeline, Pharmaprojects, Biomedtracker, Medtrack, Pink Sheet and Scrip, focused on providing insight and intelligence to the health care industry.
The editor of Chemist+Druggist will oversee all publishing aspects of the highly respected 160-year-old brand – from its award-winning breaking news and analysis, to its podcasts and industry-leading C+D Awards.
With an online audience of 120,000 community pharmacy professionals, and after a year that saw C+D gain widespread national media coverage and political attention for its exclusive investigations, this is a role for someone who wants to lead an exciting digital publishing brand at the top of its game.
The editor will not only inspire and manage an editorial team of five, but collaborate closely with the wider C+D and informa teams, to ensure C+D remains the leading source of news and views for its healthcare audience.
The ideal candidate may not come from a healthcare writing background (although that is an advantage), but they do need to have the experience and vision to lead a nationally recognised publishing title to even greater achievements in 2020. If you are comfortable inspiring a multi-award-winning team of journalists, pioneering new formats to engage and excite audiences, and representing a brand in front of senior industy stakeholders, this is the job for you.
The Editor leads the editorial team in determining day-to-day content priorities and the strategic development of the Chemist+ Druggist publications. The Editor determines, manages and contributes to the news and analysis for the daily e-mail alerts, websites and printed material with the aim of publishing differentiated, valuable information to drive engagement and support commercial opportunities across both marketing and data services. The individual embodies expertise in key aspects of the UK pharmacy market, actively mentoring colleagues to develop their experience and capabilities. With a deep understanding of their audiences, the individual can represent the products at events, meetings and conferences.
- Every day, in every part of your role, ensure your activities have a positive impact for our clients; position the brand as a champion of our audience, promoting initiatives that will benefit their working lives
- Develop a digital editorial strategy that support C+D’s continued growth in subscribers/traffic/users/engagement/satisfaction, in alignment with wider business priorities, including initiatives that support both marketing and data services.
- Identify and prioritize - news, analysis and features - which reflect the burning issues facing UK pharmacy – including politics, the NHS, Brexit, healthcare and technology developments, exclusive investigations and breaking news.
- Manage an editorial team of five to produce an average of 3-4 articles a day, and directly line manage three section editors (News/Deputy Editor; Clinical Editor; and Features Editor)
- Develop their capabilities and support achievement of individual and business objectives, overall supporting an editorial culture of open dialogue, constructive feedback and collaboration.
- Review articles and edit content for publication to meet editorial standards of quality, excellence, accuracy and style.
- Set objectives and deadlines, ensure products publish on schedule. Manage and review content through all stages of production, from planning, editing and proofing through to publication.
- Deliver personal, as well as, team and/or product-based key performance indicators.
- Schedule article postings to ensure industry balance on pub home pages; use social media.
- Maintain and grow a network of experts to help identify leads for original editorial content (in-house and commissioned articles) that meets client needs, drives value and usage.
- Mine data including usage data, survey data and C+D data to identify leads for original content.
- Manage any budgets for travel, content commissioning, editing, etc.
- Support digital platform by identifying opportunities for multimedia content that would add value to stories, pioneering new formats to engage and excite our audience.
- Help sales and marketing staff in their understanding of the industry landscape, both on an ad-hoc basis and through regular training sessions. Also help other colleagues within Informa with any content-related queries.
- Assist sales with any queries from prospective clients; support other Pharma Intelligence analysts with expertise-related queries.
- Promote cross-departmental collaboration for the benefit of generating original content for products and increasing brand awareness of the product and producing leads for sales and marketing.
- Work with marketing on campaigns to promote original content.
- Represent Informa and C+D at events such as conferences as a presenter, panellist or moderator; including the flagship C+D Awards and in the national media as appropriate
- Work with the head of the business to support business planning needs for content development, sales and marketing support and other resourcing requirements.
- Able to deputize for the manager when required.
This list is not exhaustive and other responsibilities may be encompassed into the role on a temporary or permanent basis.
- Extensive understanding and knowledge of different market sectors and awareness of major issues affecting them.
- An excellent network of industry contacts and/or ability to build a network of contracts from across the industry (key customers, associations, membership groups, manufacturers, regulatory bodies, consultants and industry groups).
- Recognized as an industry expert, able to add value with insight and opinion.
- Able to innovate and demonstrate content development to continuously adapt to and meet client needs.
- Use of content across a publication to drive client engagement, usage and renewals (of marketing services, pharmacy subscriptions and data subscriptions).
- Experience of public speaking through presenting at conferences, chairing meetings and of interviewing and being interviewed with different media.
- Ability to participate in cross-functional teams; to lead and develop individuals and teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills with emphasis on the ability to gain the cooperation of sources.
- Consistently express an informed, knowledgeable interest in learning or contributing more to the editorial process for the benefit of the publications.
- Breadth and depth of knowledge and experience of the UK pharma market, and of the NHS, particularly primary care (although not essential) – including the companies, dynamics and trends that shape the industry with particular expertise about a relevant sector.
- Be able to research and generate content or ideas across various subjects – including politics, the NHS, Brexit, healthcare and technology developments, exclusive investigations and breaking news.
- Ability to use social media to promote editorial content.
- Diverse experience of multimedia tools and content. Able to quickly spot opportunities when this would add value for clients.
- Knowledge/experience of using analytics to inform content strategy and development.
- Good presentation and panel moderation skills for conferences.
- Able to manage the creation and publishing of content; adheres to overlapping deadlines and juggles the numerous tasks required to get content to clients.
- Established and recognized experience having led a team as an editor, deputy editor or section editor on a national media B2B/B2C brand.
- Previous roles writing and reporting on markets on client-side and/or within healthcare news and media organizations
- Journalism skills and knowledge to include: understanding complex scientific, regulatory and/or commercial issues, writing about them clearly and convincingly, exercising editorial judgment and Up-to-date knowledge of media and publishing law.
- Bachelor’s degree with focus on journalism and/or sciences, science policy or equivalent career experience.