Senior Java Developer- Informa Tech | San Francisco, CA
Informa Tech, part of the FTSE 100 Informa Group, currently has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Java Developer to join our Informa Tech engineering team. This is an opportunity to join a strong development team utilising the latest set of technologies, for an expanding global business as well as investigating new technologies such to enhance the platforms and services that we offer our customers
Informa Tech provides specialist data, intelligence and insight to businesses and professionals, helping them make better decisions, gain competitive advantage and enhance return on investment. We operate a number of different technology events and media publications such as Blackhat, Game Developers Conference, InformationWeek and Darkreading.
Reporting into Head of Data & Analytics, the successful Senior Java Developer will work with internal and external developers responsible for the ongoing support and development of the Tech products. As part of a large technology group, the Senior Java Developer will work with product management, data and analyst teams in support of the Tech product development roadmap.
We are looking for an experienced Developer who has held a Senior or Technical Lead position in a commercial development environment, with excellent communication skills and experience of developing enterprise level web applications.
In this role you will:
- Develop and maintain application code in support of new product development, feature enhancement and issue resolution
- Provide the hands-on programming skills necessary to meet development goals and deadlines
- Ensure adherence to coding standards in own code and junior team members and act as a mentor to ensure quality
- Take responsibility for the technical delivery and programming quality of Tech Single Sign On system
- Act as technical lead on some development projects; able to recommend best practice solutions to technical problems
- Able to effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
- Adopt and promote Agile development methods and test-driven development
- Provide technical support for existing products and help ensure the smooth running of their updating and maintenance
- Provide clear communication to project team and report on progress against planned milestones
- Liaise regularly with product managers to agree task priorities and quantify resource requirements for development projects
- Provide influence and leadership with regards to determining and implementing overall programming standards, guidelines and best practices
- Work closely with the data architecture manager on the delivery and maintenance of the technical data strategy.
What you’ll need to succeed:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience
- Hands-on development experience with some of the following technologies and practices including, but not limited to:
- Developing applications using various Java , J2EE (Spring , Hibernate, CXF, JMS) technologies
- Developing and maintaining microservices at scale
- Knowledge and experience of Node.js is an advantage
- Extensive "Test first" TDD experience within coding frameworks around the following areas is essential:
- Experience in using MQ frameworks like RabbitMQ, Kafka and Experience in Linux and Unix platforms
- Experience in Performance and scalability java tuning and experience performing functional testing of REST-based web services
- Experience in in utilizing various CI/CD technologies (CloudFormation, Terraform, Jenkins).
- Experience with relational and no-SQL databases, distributed cache and clear understanding of best practices & problem areas while handling large distributed datasets is a plus.
- A strong development background in Java and J2EE technologies within an Agile environment
- A desire to keep ahead of new and evolving technologies
- Demonstrable experience of developing commercial customer-facing applications with an emphasis on data, security and usability
- Experienced in supporting, modifying and maintaining systems/code designed by others
- Proven experience of managing/mentoring junior team members
- Ability to liaise with the development team, third party stakeholders and the wider business
- Strong software and design skills as well as the ability to oversee delegated programming tasks and to perform code reviews
- Experience in a Devops environment – strong working experience of server and networking concepts, source control, CI/CD pipelines, security, and automation.
Informa is a leading business intelligence, academic publishing, knowledge and events business, operating in the Knowledge and Information Economy. We are listed on the London Stock Exchange and a member of the FTSE 100.
Informa is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability status, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
What makes Informa different:
- Access to a global community of colleagues, brands and opportunities
- Competitive Benefits with 401k match
- Generous vacation days, 9 company holidays and time off to volunteer!
- Work- Life Balance
- Paid parental leave
- Volunteer days
- Informa Awards to celebrate individual and team success