PURPOSE OF ROLE
We’re a global business of more than 600 colleagues, operating in 60 markets. Our purpose is to help drive the future by inspiring the Technology community to design, build and run a better digital world. We do this by informing, educating and connecting the community through our market-leading research, media, training and event brands. Every year, we welcome 2.700+ subscribers to our research, more than 3.8 million unique visitors a month to our digital communities, 42.700+ students to our training programs and 200.000 delegates to our events.
At Informa Tech, the many amazing brands we operate are successful due to the people that produce them. They require experts, in the market and in their function, working together to allow the Tech community to freely exchange ideas, connect around compelling issues, discover new opportunities, and attain the intelligence they need for sound business decisions.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Festival Director to lead the global festival of technology held every June.
London Tech Week has grown over the last 3 years to be the leading festival of technology connecting corporates and start ups across Europe. More than 60,000 attendees attend 300 events across the city, including Informa Tech’s own TechXLR8 exhibition held in the ExCel centre. The week also hosts a whole programme of social functions and unique experiences. The festival is supported by the leading trade bodies within technology as well as the highest level of government support. The opening ceremony was attended by Prime Minister Teresa May in 2019.
Our ambition is to build the festival across the UK and internationally for 2020, as well as progressing a number of initiatives evolving from the festival into standalone new events and projects. These may co-locate with other Informa Tech existing brands and events.
The candidate should be a highly collaborative, creative professional who is customer centric and results oriented. The position requires a forward-thinking, innovative, “big picture” mentality and commercial business sense.
Prior Festival or Events Director Experience and commercial development skills preferred. Exceptional leadership, communication, project management and interpersonal skills are required.
Reporting to: Managing Director.
Location: Blue Fin Building, Southwark, London
It will be the Festival Director’s responsibility to work with the team and industry stakeholders to deliver the Festival. This uniquely entrepreneurial role is to lead the vision, development, production, packaging and presentation of a breakthrough week of events that integrates professional development with personal fulfilment to create an unique experience and one no attendee will forget.
The Festival Director is responsible for the following areas:
- Strategic planning and direction of London Tech Week
- The overall design, delivery and success of the festival production and features
- Stakeholder management with industry representatives
- Liaison and coordination between various internal teams:
- Event creation
- Audience delivery and marketing
- Sponsorship sales
- PR and brand awareness
- Director of Operations
- Delivering exceptional attendee experience
This means that they are expected to deliver revenue growth and increased operating profit through:
- The development of high quality, content rich experiences
- Proactive management of the brand and its position
- Putting the customer at the front of all event decisions
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
• 5 years’ professional experience minimum with at least 4 years management experience
• 2:1 degree (or equivalent)
• Excellent stakeholder management skills
• Superior communication skills
• An interest in the technology market is desirable
• Ability for International Travel
The ideal candidate will have success at event delivery level within the commercial conference world, with in-depth knowledge and experience of the business. Ideally they will have:
- Experience of successfully designing and onsite delivery of large-scale events
- Ability to conduct stakeholder relationships with key industry contacts at the most senior level
- Experience of creativity within events, seeing the vision through to implantation and delivery to a budget
- Negotiating suppliers and contacts
Despite the variety of backgrounds, experience levels, cultures, seniorities and personalities, we expect everyone in informa Tech to have one thing in common: that they are deeply passionate about what they do.
In addition, they would be:
- Ambitious, energetic, a natural motivator
- Excellent communicator who can manage external customers and internal business expectations
- Thrives in a challenging, fast paced and high-pressure environment
- Comfortable with accountability at a senior level
- Deeply entrepreneurial backed with proven experience as a practical deliverer
To apply, please submit your CV and a detailed covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org