The Legal Team sits within the Global Support division of Informa and is a highly valued business partner to the five Informa trading divisions. The Legal Team has lawyers based principally in the UK, the US and Asia and comprises experts in both subject areas (such as Intellectual Property, Data Protection, Mergers & Acquisitions and Employment) and geographies, providing global advice in a timely and often business critical environment.
The Legal Team has played a pivotal role in Informa’s recent growth and strong financial results, assisting the business with both its acquisition strategy and its significant investment in new platforms, systems and product launches alongside BAU activities. Together, this has resulted in Informa climbing quickly from a FTSE 250 company to a company today within the top 50 companies of the FTSE100, with significant global operations in a number of markets and regions. The Legal Team was integral to two recent significant transactions; the £4 billion acquisition of UBM plc and the £1.2 billion acquisition of Penton Information Services.
In 2017, the Legal Team’s successes were externally recognised through winning Legal Week’s “In-House TMT Team of the Year” award.
The Legal Team is currently recruiting a Senior Legal Counsel to assist with supporting global technology initiatives and EMEA BAU activities for the Informa Markets division.
This role will report to the Head of Legal (EMEA) – Informa Markets and will be based in Informa’s London head office (partial agile working preferences will be considered).
What we’re looking for
The Senior Legal Counsel will work on a broad range of matters. A key component of the role will be to provide specialist legal advice to the Informa Markets division in relation to large-scale, cross-border technology projects. This will be supplemented by the provision of day-to-day general commercial legal support for EMEA-based teams within the Informa Markets division. The role will assume the following key responsibilities:
- provide proactive legal services, supporting the Informa Markets division’s customer-first, data driven approach to implementing technology processes, strategies and solutions in a secure and consistent manner
- advising on strategic technology implementation projects, including IT services and consulting agreements, business process arrangements, licensing agreements, software development contracts, SaaS agreements, framework MSAs with corresponding SOWs and SLAs and matters related to encryption, electronic signatures and the information security assessment of third party suppliers
- providing day-to-day support and practical solutions for the legal aspects of BAU commercial, corporate, dispute resolution, risk, data privacy and compliance matters, to ensure high legal governance standards across the business
- drafting and negotiating a diverse range of general commercial contracts, including standard terms of sale and purchase, supply agreements spanning the supply chain, marketing agreements, lease agreements, barter agreements, confidentiality agreements, outsourcing agreements, procurement RFPs with associated terms and collaboration agreements
- liaising with key divisional stakeholders (such as Technology, Marketing, Digital, Finance, Data Privacy and Compliance leads) as required to input into contractual arrangements and legal matter decision-making
- leading training and other knowledge-sharing activities to keep in touch with internal clients and continue building relationships
- working as part of a collaborative team, including assisting with the supervision of junior lawyers’ work and providing specialist insight to other Legal Team members on particular areas of expertise
- updating and modifying standard template contracts as and when needed
The ideal applicant will preferably need to demonstrate the following skills, abilities and qualifications:
- a qualified lawyer with approximately 7-8 years post-qualification experience (PQE is given as a guide only, this will not be a determining factor of suitability and applicants of other levels of PQE may apply), excellent academics and strong IT and commercial law experience gained in a top law firm
- secondment or in-house experience will be considered favourably
- cross-border technology implementation project experience is essential
- genuine interest in technology solutions is essential
- must be able to work autonomously on legal matters with minimal supervision and have credible experience of doing so
- must be comfortable with discussing commercial and non-legal issues related to relevant projects
- experience of working in events, media or content businesses would be helpful, but not essential
- excellent commercial judgment enabling consideration of legal requests in a commercial, constructive and business-sympathetic way, balancing business needs with legal risk
- a confident, dynamic and personable individual with an ability to communicate at all levels in the organisation and build strong internal and external relationships
- collaborative, growth mindset team player who is able to get their “hands dirty” and assist with a variety of tasks
- the ability to present clearly and effectively, especially to distil complex legal and technical concepts into accessible business terms
- a self-starting attitude with the ability to prioritise in a fast-moving “need it now” environment