Job Title: Reporter, Intellectual Property Magazine (IPM)
Reporting To: Editor, IPM
Division: Business Intelligence
The patent 'land grab' in the cannabis industry, tracking developments in AI, breakthroughs in the gene-editing revolution, these are just some of the myriad topics you will be covering as a reporter on the leading legal title Intellectual Property Magazine. This is a varied role, where you will be called upon to research and write news and features articles, both for online and print, as well as edit and commission articles.
Informa Business Intelligence (BI), part of the FTSE 100 Informa Group, provides specialist data, intelligence and insight to businesses and professionals, helping them make better decisions, gain competitive advantage and enhance return on investment.
BI has a valuable portfolio of digital subscription products, providing business critical intelligence to global, regional and niche communities within five core industry sectors: Pharma & Healthcare; Finance; Telecoms, Media & Technology; Maritime & Law and Agribusiness & Commodities.
Intellectual Property Magazine is available online and in print, providing a definitive information source for practitioners, providing in-depth coverage and analysis of all the latest trends in intellectual property law.
Facebook’s latest data breach, tracking developments in AI, breakthroughs in the gene-editing revolution, these are just some of the myriad topics you will be covering as a reporter on the leading legal title Intellectual Property Magazine. This is a varied role, where you will be called upon to research and write news and features articles, both for online and print, as well as edit and commission articles.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Writing news and features stories
- Researching across a wide range of multimedia sources for breaking news
- Checking and keeping industry sources and contacts updated
- Conducting interviews with key industry players and experts
- Researching and rewriting press releases
- Securing quotes from industry experts
Sub-editing content including news, opinion and features to a consistently high standard
- Text conforms to house style and is factually correct and clear
- If there are any factual errors/sense checking required, the reporter would be required to contact the author for clarification
- Would be required when editing to choose a headline, standfirst and an image to accompany pieces through the image library shutterstock.com
- Assisting the team to send the print issue to press and publishing online
- Making contacts
- Checking suitability
- Providing a brief
- Commissioning at least five articles a month on the latest cases and hot topic subject areas
- Chasing copy
Representing the magazine at industry events
- Forging key contacts with people in IP sphere
- Interviewing industry leaders and experts
- Identifying potential participants for webinars and podcasts
- Identifying future article topics
Uploading content to www.intellectualpropertymagazine.com
Familiarising yourself with the CMS so can upload content onto website
Tweeting regularly to our thousands of followers and building upon our presence on LinkedIn
Pulling together daily e-alert
Being trained up on processes to ensure the smooth delivery of e-alert
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
- The ideal candidate for this role will have completed at least a year’s experience working in print or online publishing – and preferably with experience in the legal sector or sectors related to coverage of the magazine
- An eye for detail, and track record of subbing, editing and writing news copy
- Work experience in a magazine publishing environment desirable; candidates that have experience in the legal publishing sector will have a distinct advantage
- Ability to work efficiently and without errors in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication skills and the ability to work flexibly
- Proficiency with web content management systems
Educated to graduate level – journalism or similar degree holders welcomed.