The FTSE 100 Informa Group provides academic publishing, data intelligence and events to clients globally. Informa has 11000 staff in 60 locations across the globe with significant coverage in the USA and a large central London UK office.
Group Technology is a central technology function sitting within the Global Support division. It manages, supports and delivers technology services for all Informa divisions. Responsibilities include Architecture, Product Platform Delivery, Programme and project delivery, Infrastructure, Application support and development, Security Operations and Service Management.
Group Technology are looking to appoint a Development Manager – Omdia Data Products on a permanent basis. The role will be working from home during COVID-19 with a view to be office based in Central London in the future.
The Development Manager will design and work with internal and external developers responsible for the ongoing support and development of Omdia data platforms (Trax, Forecaster, EPMP) and customer facing APIs. We are looking for an experienced Development Manager with extensive web development and architectural experience to help us solution and maintain a platform to meet business requirements, and to help drive growth of our data subscription.
The role will design, maintain and ensure the integrity and consistency of the Omdia data product architectures and technology solutions aligning to technology strategies, architectures and engineering standards. It will design sustainable solutions which enable business and technology agility while proactively managing risk, cost and ongoing support considerations through informed solutions planning.
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on and experienced Development Manager who leads all facets of the application support and development process, from concept through to implementation. They will seek to form strong working relationships with business users of the technology, and know how to get the best out of supplier relationships, take ownership and responsibility for quality and performance of the entire delivery lifecycle, and be an expert in measuring and improving all aspects of solution delivery.
What will I be doing?
In this role you will be expected to:
- Lead the design, planning, implementation, and governance of Omdia data solutions which support business enablement, typically aligned to specific programmes and/or projects.
- Accountable for the Omdia data solutions architecture for all related solutions throughout the organization.
- In collaboration with Product Platform Delivery team or key business stakeholders develop roadmaps to support the long-term evolution of the technology portfolio.
- Analysis of technology solution options, taking into account Informa’s technology capabilities, roadmaps and standards along with associated risks and costs. Be able to clearly quantify, justify and articulate buy vs. build decisions.
- Lead and manage the delivery of developed solutions through established agile processes. Establish and produce metrics to analyse and demonstrate the quality and efficiency of development, resource capacity, and cost-effectiveness of technology solutions.
- Be responsible for the continuous improvement of technology solutions, processes, people, and delivery across the Omdia data products
- Create solution documentation detailing solutions as reference for other team members.
- Identify and obtain agreement on functional and non-functional requirements and features and ensure appropriate prioritisation is applied to meet business objectives.
- Translate functional business requirements into well-architected solutions that best leverage existing Informa platforms or call for the procurement and configuration or customization of new technology platforms including integration.
- Work with Development teams as part of the SDLC to ensure solutions are understood and implemented as designed. Perform code reviews of in-progress builds to make sure development work adheres to approved functional requirements, technical designs and coding standards.
- Work with Product Platform Delivery leads to manage the process of implementing improvements and new functionality in the Omdia applications based upon Product roadmaps.
- Develop knowledge of Informa’s current architecture and technology landscape along with strong understanding of future business & technology vision. Work with Enterprise Architecture teams to align to standards.
- Review vendor proposals and recommend solutions that best meet the business requirements, risk profile and budget, and ensure value for money is achieved.
- Document current and future state process models and develop and present L1/L2 technical specifications.
- Be continuously abreast of new trends within technologies. Be able to leverage this insight to envision new opportunities for business and/or technical enablement and construct prototypes to demonstrate proposed solutions.
- Possess excellent troubleshooting, analytical and presentation skills and be able to communicate findings in a clear and concise manner to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Be comfortable with rapidly changing and sometimes ambiguous work assignments.
- Be a results-driven self-starter who takes initiative, solicits and listens to feedback from a variety of sources, and is able to work independently in a fast-paced, global environment.
What People Management responsibilities will I have?
- Oversee, motivate and manage the Senior .Net Developer – Omdia Data Products.
- People development to ensure effectiveness of that colleague, concentrating on both performance and soft skill development
- Planning and prioritising the work for the team, ensuring resource management is considered
- Preparation and reporting of specific performance metrics within agreed deadlines
- Ensure a robust communication structure is in place across the team to ensure all key messages are communicated.
- Participate in Recruitment & Selection processes as needed
- Provide assistance in identifying career development opportunities for direct reports
- Actively support a culture of team engagement
- Escalated team admin issues
- Act as a role model to others
- Work closely with HR to ensure all people management processes and policies are being adhered to
What skills and experience do I need?
- 5-7+ years of experience in developing and architecting web-based solutions.
- 5-7 years experience of supporting, developing, and enhancing Content Management platforms. Experience of Enterprise CMS (eg Sitecore) and/or Open Source CMS (eg Drupal, WordPress).
- Strong understanding and experience of AWS technologies –EC2, RDS, Lambda, Load-balancing, CloudFormation.
- Experience of working with business users to design scalable applications and solutions to meet specific use cases.
- Strong working knowledge of JIRA, Confluence, Tempo, Bitbucket, Lucid. Full SDLC and Devops experience (requirements gathering through production deployment) utilizing JIRA or similar ALM tools within a product development methodology framework.
- Strong analytical skills: Ability to collect, organize, and analyse data; summarize findings, derive conclusions and present recommendations.
- Excellent working knowledge and hands-on experience implementing and managing Agile work methodologies.
- Broad technical knowledge of industry and technology trends and a strong external perspective of current and upcoming developments in the technology space.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to simplify and clearly communicate complex concepts and information to diverse audiences with varying degrees of technical understanding. Must be able to inspire stakeholder confidence in solutions being put forth.
- Line management experience
Preferred Knowledge and Experience
- A can-do attitude, solutions focussed.
- Knowledge of subscription-based solutions, subscription-entitlement concepts.
- Experience working with matrix teams made up of Informa and multiple 3rd party resources.
- Open to periodic domestic and/or international travel as required.
Why work for Informa?
- Learning and Development plan to assist with your career development
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays, 4 days for volunteering and a day off for your Birthday!
- Fabulous new office at Blackfriars with views across London, an onsite gym and restaurant, and a variety of amenities nearby
- Get to work with market-leading products across the Lloyd’s List group of services
- Life assurance
- Other flexible benefits include Healthcare, Cycle to Work scheme and Season Ticket Loans
- 5% Pension match
- Share-Match options - become a shareholder
- Regular Social Events and Networking opportunities
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law.
This role may also be available on a flexible working schedule – please ask the Talent Acquisition team for more information.