F1000 Research (part of Taylor & Francis Group) has an exciting new opportunity for an Associate Editor in Physical Sciences to join the team.
The role will involve providing knowledge and support to existing editorial staff to ensure Physical Sciences submissions to F1000Research and the growing number of F1000 white-label publishing platforms are processed in the most appropriate way. The Associate Editor will undertake a wide range of tasks including assessing articles and associated research data for appropriateness and editorial quality, some basic editing and tagging, and communication with external members of the research community. Using existing knowledge in the physical sciences, they will also provide support on developing and implementing editorial policies, guidelines, and checklists across the full range of Physical Sciences subjects.
What you’ll be doing:
- Processing submissions for appropriateness and editorial quality, with some basic editing where required
- Using existing editorial knowledge in the Physical Sciences to provide expert knowledge and support to existing editorial staff to ensure such submissions to F1000Research and platforms are processed in the most appropriate way
- Appropriate tagging of submissions to the relevant scientific sections within the database
- Providing support for authors using our online submission systems, and managing the resolution of any queries with the appropriate individuals within the team
- Maintaining content management databases and ensuring all information is up-to-date and accurate
- Providing cover for, and assistance to, other team members as required
- Suggesting improvements to working practices of the team
- Training and mentoring of junior team members
What we’re looking for:
- Strong subject matter knowledge and editorial experience in the Physical Sciences
- Broad interest in academic research and publishing
- Strong organisational and prioritisation skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and enjoys interacting with people
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong English language skills
- Aptitude for understanding technical issues
- Computer skills essential – especially Word, Excel, Internet searching - and understanding of an online environment
- Experience handling LaTeX submissions
- Pro-active, resourceful and a good team player
- Adaptable and willing to take on new and different responsibilities as they arise
What we offer in return:
- Circa £32,000 per annum
- 25 days annual leave
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Pension contributions
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development
You must have the right to work and live in the United Kingdom
This role is based remotely with some travel required to our central London office
F1000 Research (part of the Taylor & Francis Group) is an innovative open research publisher of scientific, scholarly, translational and clinical research across the physical and life sciences, engineering, medicine, humanities and the social sciences. The F1000 Research publishing system combines the ability to publish rapidly with functionality to ensure transparency, robustness and reproducibility of research. The publishing model combines the benefits of ‘pre-printing’ (providing rapid publication) with quality and transparency (open data and open peer review) and enables publication within days of submission, followed by open invited peer review.
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law. This role may also be available on a flexible working or part time basis – please ask the Talent Acquisition team for more information.
To find out more about our business and the great career opportunities please go to our Careers Site: http://www.taylorandfrancisgroup.com/careers