We are offering an exciting opportunity for an energetic and motivated publishing professional to join the team as an experienced Editorial Lead. The successful individual should have a background in HSS publishing.
F1000 Research (part of Taylor & Francis Group) is an innovative open research publisher of scientific, scholarly, translational and clinical research across the physical and life sciences, engineering, medicine, humanities and the social sciences. The F1000 Research publishing system combines the ability to publish rapidly with functionality to ensure transparency, robustness and reproducibility of research. The publishing model combines the benefits of ‘pre-printing’ (providing rapid publication) with quality and transparency (open data and open peer review) and enables publication within days of submission, followed by open invited peer review.
The role will involve providing expert knowledge and support to existing editorial staff, especially whilst in a transition phase to creating a separate HSS editorial team, to ensure HSS submissions to F1000Research and the growing number of F1000 white-label publishing platforms are processed in the most appropriate way. Key aspects of the role include assessing articles and associated research data for appropriateness and editorial quality, overseeing the editorial pre-publication checks, developing and overseeing HSS editorial policies, and recruiting, training, and managing editorial staff. The successful applicant will need to be flexible and adaptable to challenges as the role develops.
What you’ll be doing:
- Processing submissions for appropriateness and editorial quality, with some basic editing where required
- Using existing editorial knowledge in HSS to provide expert knowledge and support to existing editorial staff to ensure HSS submissions to F1000Research and platforms are processed in the most appropriate way
- Manage and train the editorial team carrying out pre-publication checks
- Provide close oversight of pre-publication checks to ensure that policies, guidelines, and workflow are implemented consistently, and speedy turnaround times are maintained
- Provide review of the publishing framework of F1000Research and the platforms to ensure clearly formulated publication criteria, and editorial policies and ethical guidelines in line with COPE and other recognized publisher/editor groups and associations
- Develop and maintain deep knowledge of open data policies and open science developments to ensure we are adhering to best current practice
- Ensure there is good documentation of processes and best practice that can be applied for the different publishing platforms
- Handle issues around publication and research ethics
- Be the main point of contact for authors and external clients for issues requiring escalation
- Liaise with other internal teams, including other senior staff across F1000 Platforms and Development
What we’re looking for:
- Strong subject matter knowledge and editorial experience in the HSS
- A strong understanding of the scholarly publishing ecosystem, particularly Open Access
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and enjoys interacting with people
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong English language skills
- Pro-active, resourceful and a good team player
- Adaptable and willing to take on new and different responsibilities as they arise
- Ability to handle multiple projects and to tight deadlines
What we offer in return:
- 25 days annual leave
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Pension contributions
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development
You must have the right to work and live in the United Kingdom
This role is based in London with some flexible working provided
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about.
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified
Taylor & Francis Group an Informa Business
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law. This role may also be available on a flexible working or part time basis – please ask the Talent Acquisition team for more information.
To find out more about our business and the great career opportunities please go to our Careers Site: http://www.taylorandfrancisgroup.com/careers