Senior Operations Manager | New York, NY
Informa is looking for an efficient, process oriented Senior Operations Manager to join the Connect Team in NY. The Senior Operations Manager directs facility, contractor, operational, production, and food and beverage activities for assigned events. The Operations Manager is responsible for related functions from inception to completion, including performing initial site research and proposals, and ensuring all contractual arrangements for vendor services have been implemented. The Operations Manager will attend assigned shows/conferences and is responsible for coordinating on-site operations such as managing, training, monitoring and developing staff assigned to the event.
In this role you will:
- Research potential site selection for event based on event requirements, exhibitor needs, rates, catering and discounts provided.
- Make informed recommendation on venue options to Brand Director based on findings and specific industry knowledge.
- Develop event budget, monthly forecasts, actual spend, cost savings and ROI; responsible for implementation and adherence to each.
- Work in conjunction with Sales team on design, management and maintenance of floorplans.
- Negotiate contracts with vendors including but not limited to: catering, security, A/V, transportation while ensuring agreement terms are within corporate guidelines.
- Develop and manage event timeline with staff and vendors to ensure that show deadlines are adhered to in order to maximize appropriate discounts. Conference management – layout of meeting rooms in order to maximize space while working with AV company to ensure appropriate equipment is utilized while maintaining budget.
- Develop and manage all areas of F&B.
- Work with Sponsorship Operations Manager to guarantee all functions related to execution of sponsorships are met.
- Overall planning and management of registration requirements during entire show cycle.
- Ensure that assigned event teams (internal and external) understand and abide by event sustainability plan.
- Creation and development of cost-effective initiatives while not affecting overall customer experience.
- Establishes and maintains vendor relationships by serving as primary point of contact on budgetary compliance, maximizing value and contractual matters.
- Ensure that Health, Safety and Security standards are adhered to.
- Work with Housing Agent on procuring hotel blocks, monitoring pickup, promotional outreach and staff housing.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
What you'll need to succeed:
- Four-year college degree in business administration or related work experience, with at least seven years’ experience in tradeshow/convention production, hospitality and meeting planning.
- Strong interpersonal, time management and organizational skills, with the ability to multi-task and think on your feet.
- Ability to think “Outside of the Box”.
- Must be highly detail oriented, with problem solving and conflict management abilities. At least two years staff management experience in order to train, motivate and develop staff.
- Ability to delegate and manage stress.
- Knowledge of the following: Microsoft Outlook and Excel, Eloqua, Salesforce, Floor Planning Tools (i.e. A2Z) and overall cost management and budgetary responsibilities.
Other Key Success Attributes:
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior knowledge of trade shows a must.
- Contract negotiations and implementation experience is critical.
- Experience with hotel and/or banquet sales or facilities management and planning.
Who we are:
Informa Connect provides digital content, memorable face to face experiences, networking and professional development for customers in key industry verticals. The New York portfolio includes media and event brands across catering (Catersource), events/meetings (The Special Event, MeetingsNet, Special Events), foodservice (Nation’s Restaurant News, Restaurant Hospitality, Food Management, MUFSO), green building/sustainability (Greenbuild), insights/marketing/innovation (FEI, FUSE, TMRE, Marketing Analytics & Data Science), and retail (Supermarket News).
Informa is a leading business intelligence, academic publishing, knowledge and events business, operating in the Knowledge and Information Economy. We are listed on the London Stock Exchange and a member of the FTSE 100.
Informa is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability status, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
What makes Informa different:
- Access to a global community of colleagues, brands and opportunities
- Competitive Benefits with 401k match
- Generous paid time off
- Work-Life Balance
- Paid parental leave
- Paid volunteer days
- Informa Awards to celebrate individual and team success