Taylor & Francis Group has an exciting opportunity for a Sustainability Manager to join the business as part of the Informa Group Sustainability Team. This is a new role, designed to extend and deepen existing successful engagement within T&F on sustainability and link with the wider Informa initiatives. The key goal is to help sustainability be a competitive differentiator for T&F, with the Sustainability Manager acting as a catalyst and subject matter expert.
A particular focus will be on engaging colleagues across all of T&F globally (some limited international travel may be required). This will seek to enhance the T&F culture in collaboration with other functions and particularly try to drive engagement within programmes such as volunteering, Walk the World, Purpose and office activities. The successful applicant will also support the implementation of groupwide sustainability initiatives such as more sustainable offices and work with those teams delivering sustainable products to provide a connection and encouragement.
The T&F Sustainability Manager will primarily be responsible for responsible business programmes that enhance the colleague experience for T&F colleagues around the world. This will be measured by participation, engagement and feedback from colleagues involved. The role may also involve supporting initiatives across the business and linking T&F with Informa-wide sustainability programmes.
This role would suit someone who is proactive and enthusiastic about championing sustainability and engagement across a breadth of 2000+ different global colleagues in more than 20 offices.
What you will be doing:
As part of a global team creating higher engagement within T&F the successful candidate will primarily be responsible for:
- Attracting, supporting and coordinating the Sustainability Champions around T&F’s Global offices to get value from T&F’s volunteering and donations policies, as well as programmes such as Walk the World
- Increasing T&F colleagues’ participation in volunteering activities, particularly those that build teams and enhance skills development
- Delivering our Walk the World programme at our 900+ person Milton Park T&F head office. This will be supported by a team of volunteers who the candidate will attract and coordinate. This programme encourages colleagues to spend time together outside of the office going for a walk and raising money for our partner charities
- Supporting and collaborating with HR colleagues working on diversity, inclusion and wellbeing
- Collaborate with marketing and communications to raise the profile and pride that comes from being a responsible business. This includes updating T&F website, marketing collateral and internal communications
- Working with recruitment teams to promote our sustainability credentials to potential applicants and new colleagues
In addition, the following will also form a secondary part of the role:
- Working with our property managers to identify cost saving and wellbeing improvements in our estate
- Collaborating with others to help embed Informa and T&F’s Purpose (“Our Constitution and Guiding Principles”) as well as business-wide initiatives that enhance culture and wellbeing, as well as engagement and team spirit, across the T&F business
- Working with the production, facilities and operational teams to support, encourage and promote their work on helping our supply chain be more responsible. This can include but isn’t limited to waste reduction, procurement, energy efficiency, transportation, charity partnerships and community programmes. The projects must have demonstrable improvements on costs, reputation, operational impact and/or impact
- Work with targeted teams to identify business opportunity from the SDG agenda and support specific projects within the business, such as the SDG tagging and SDG platforms being developed
- Gathering data from across T&F to report into central T&F and Group initiatives
- Working with the editorial teams in Books and Journals to find where sustainability content, such as the SDGs, can create innovative new areas for growth and engagement
- Collaborating with Marketing across T&F to ensure that our communications gain value, reputation and increased credibility from T&F/Informa’s responsible business practices such as paper and timber sourcing etc
- Working with the Group Head of Sustainability to ensure global sustainability is communicated and delivered in T&F
- Working with the Group Sustainability team on global sustainability projects and being T&F’s “voice” in the development and deployment of central commitments, policies and strategies
What we are looking for:
- Excellent engagement skills with a proactive mindset and the confidence to act as a “cheerleader” for T&F’s sustainability activities and create excitement and interest across the business
- Demonstrable interest in sustainability and making an impact in the world, with a good breadth of topical reading on the agenda and an interest in several aspects of sustainability rather than just the environment or community
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of working in sustainability and/or the publishing industry
- Excellent, proactive and persuasive communication skills. Wide variety of communication styles and the ability to understand your audience and tailor your style accordingly including proven ability to write clear, engaging communications
- Holding a ‘Campaign Mindset’, the individual will know how to create engaging campaigns with efficient resource usage
- Practically minded, with a focus on what can be realistically and practically achieved within a diverse and spread out business
- Ability to be able to inspire others to action and help them prioritise initiatives in sustainability
- A creative thinker who looks for ways to solve problems and take a project from A to B
- An ability to work with and interpret data to identify where the appropriate response needs to be
- An ability to get involved in the detail of running a project but also to be able to step back and work with T&F teams to see the overall purpose of the business and how sustainability can best support it
- Happy to manage own tasks responsibly and work independently, with little supervision but a desire to be part of the global sustainability team and local operational teams simultaneously
- Able to research an issue and find applicable suggestions to improve programmes
- Experience of organizing events, charity activities etc is a plus.
- Experience in data manipulation in Excel including PivotTables and analysis is a plus
This role could be based either in London from our offices near Victoria or our offices in Milton Park, Oxfordshire. Some limited regional and international travel is required.
What we offer in return:
- 25 days annual leave plus 3 days for Christmas
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Day off for your birthday
- Pension contributions
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Training and development
You must have the right to work and live in the UK
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and regret that only shortlisted candidates will be notified
Taylor & Francis Group an Informa Business
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
Taylor & Francis Group produces high quality, peer reviewed books and journals. We produce unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery globally. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding, providing academics and professionals with a platform to share ideas and realise their individual potential.
To find out more about our business and the great career opportunities please go to our Careers Site: http://www.taylorandfrancisgroup.com/careers
Informa is committed to equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, colour, creed, disability status, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.