TBI Magazine – DEPUTY EDITOR
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Deputy Editor to join the editorial team of Television Business International (TBI) magazine in the TMT (Technology, Media & Telecoms) division at Informa Tech, an Informa Business.
This is an opportunity to contribute to the success of the leading business-to-business title covering the international TV industry. As deputy editor, you will be expected to forge relationships with key industry players and represent the brand at industry events and trade shows, as required.
The Deputy Editor will be responsible for researching and writing news and long-form content for TBI magazine and the tbivision.com website. They will be part of the Media Mags team, and report into the Editor of TBI.
Primary functions include writing and editing news and feature articles to deadline, uploading stories via the Wordpress Content Management System, and sub-editing and proof-reading copy to a high standard.
This position is well-suited to a hard-working journalist keen to get stuck in the fast-evolving TV industry, break stories and secure exclusives, and produce well-researched trend and analysis pieces.
They will also contribute to the InDesign-based production of our print magazine, take an active part in editorial meetings and carry out the duties of the Editor in his absence across all activities. The Deputy Editor will also work on various commercial products at the direction of the Editor and will look to foster commercial relationships with clients and provide leads for the commercial director.
* Write market-leading editorial coverage that sets TBI apart from its competitors
* Break stories and secure exclusive news stories
* Day-to-day duties will include writing news stories for TBI’s market-leading newsletter, writing long-form features and working on other content for our online and print titles.
* Develop deep connections with key industry sources, clients and public relations executives
* Sub-editing and proof-reading copy to a high standard. Participating in regular meetings with editorial and advertising sales staff and contributing to the successful growth of the title and the development of new projects.
* Working in collaboration with the team to execute commercial project work including, but not limited to, sponsored videos and events, advertorial copy and sponsored survey-based reports.
* Contribute to the setting of editorial agendas for both print and online
* Contribute to magazine production throughout the year
* Contribute to editorial best practice and implement initiatives that improve performance across platforms, including social media
* Assess traffic and work on ideas and initiatives that will drive numbers and digital engagement further
* Liaise with freelance contributors to ensure timely delivery of content where required.
* Work effectively across organisation in order to align editorial and commercial aspects of the business
* Planning and prioritising the work within the department ensuring resource management is considered
* Actively support a culture of team engagement
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
* An established track record in business-to-business and/or arts and entertainment journalism
* Ability to master complex topics and absorb information quickly
* Ability to act with integrity, tact and diplomacy with sensitive and confidential information and handle it in a secure and safe manner at all times
* Strong knowledge of the international TV industry, encompassing production, broadcasting, distribution and streaming services such as Netflix and Amazon
* Positive, open-minded attitude and a nose for news
* First-class networking skills
* Wide variety of communication styles and the ability to understand your audience and tailor your style accordingly
* Financial literacy, in order to understand and appreciate the goals of the business
* Perfect grammar skills to ensure house style is met at all times (British English)
*Uses measurements and data alongside intuition when problem solving
* Self-motivated, driven and open to new challenges
* Ability to remain calm and focused whilst under pressure, especially on magazine print deadlines
* A foreign language would be a bonus
The job is based in the London office but there will be regular travel to events across North America, EMEA and potentially further afield.