Editor | Boston, MA
The Boston-based Editor is a strategically important role for Informa Connect Life Science’s News publications. Responsible for reporting, creating, writing and managing news, digital content, and live events to support our life science B2B publications, predominantly Xconomy, but also BioProcess Insider and other related news sites as necessary.
The Editor is responsible for working directly with the managing editor and a team of journalists to create, oversee, and communicate insightful, inspirational, targeted life science and related technology content across Connect Life Sciences’ network. The editor is also responsible for leveraging their network of industry insiders and contacts to ensure the brands deliver on the core mission: to engage innovators, connect industry leaders, and inspire deep and meaningful connections across industries. While having a national and international outlook on coverage, the editor will be expected to work with and follow the local Massachusetts life science community to source news stories and contacts.
In this role you will:
- Oversight and management of all assigned products and events across Xconomy (70%) and other Connect Life Sciences brands (30%)
- Set agenda and strategy for life sciences and technology coverage
- Report to and work directly with national editorial director to set overall content and product strategy and objectives
- Coordinate with sales, marketing and production teams to execute strategy
- Meet all timetable objectives
- Provide industry feedback to managing editor and publisher
- Newsletter strategy
- Write and post 5 news articles per business week
- Monitor and ensure news articles are timely, focused, and deliver traffic expectations
- Write and post 3 feature articles per business week
- Website strategy
- Work with managing editor to select and ensure most targeted content is posted and featured on website
- Understand and monitor traffic benchmarks, work with managing editor to adjust when necessary
- Events strategy
- Manages regional events, responsible for agenda, speaker recruitment, etc.
- Manages and be the “face” of regional events including moderating/hosting
- Contribute, as required, to Awards and other events
- Convert event presentations into report and webcast content
- Contributes podcast/multimedia content to all digital products when/where appropriate
- Ensure content for all products are delivered in a timely fashion, meeting all quality benchmarks
What you'll need to succeed:
- 3 years+ experience in journalism working with live, interactive, and digital platforms
- At least 1-3 years reporting, editing, and event experience
- Life science and/or technology reporting experience
- Strong network of life sciences and technology sources/contacts
- Strong communication, project/staff management skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to juggle multiple projects simultaneously and have strategic vision for future product platforms in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to present regularly to cross functional, departmental and project teams
- Must have experience with the following technologies and platforms: Microsoft Office, WordPress (or similar), Twitter, LinkedIn
- Must be familiar with MailChimp/email marketing, web design, google analytics/Chartbeat
- Must be able to travel up to 30%
Who we are:
Xconomy is part of Informa's Connect Division. We are an innovative news and events organization with outposts in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle. Xconomy is dedicated to providing business and technology leaders with timely, insightful, close-to-the-scene information about the local personalities, companies, and technological trends that best exemplify today’s high-tech economy. Xconomy is staffed by world-class journalists and media professionals, and supported by “the Xconomists,” who include some of the world’s leading innovators.
Informa is a leading business intelligence, academic publishing, knowledge and events business, operating in the Knowledge and Information Economy. We are listed on the London Stock Exchange and a member of the FTSE 100.
Informa is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all applicants who match the criteria of the job description will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or national origin.
What makes Informa different:
- Access to a global community of colleagues, brands and opportunities
- Competitive Benefits with 401k match
- Generous vacation days, 9 company holidays and time off to volunteer!
- Work- Life Balance
- Paid parental leave
- Volunteer days
- Informa Awards to celebrate individual and team success